Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Meet a Houston LISSA Member

Abra Schnur, Houston Program Student Coordinator


Hi All!  I am happy to introduce myself as the new Student Coordinator for the Houston Program. I'm looking forward to working with the Houston area students this year.  I am also a UNT MLS student with a focus on Archival Management.  I began the program in the Spring of 2015 and I should graduate the Summer of 2017.  I have served both as the Secretary and Vice President of Houston LISSA.  This semester we are planning several  study sessions, All School Day, and a tour of a Houston library. Keep a lookout for dates and times.

I just completed an internship with the University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries in their Special Collections, processing a growing collection from the San Antonio River Authority. It gave me an invaluable amount of experience with physically rehousing, intellectually arranging, describing the content under DACS, coding with EAD, digitizing items for ContentDM, and writing blogs about the collection.  They were a great team to work with and I highly recommend being on the look out for future internship opportunities with them.  This semester I also plan to do my practicum at the MD Anderson Cancer Research Center working with their oral history collection.

Me on the last day of the internship at UTSA.  Check out all those boxes we processed!
My past work experience includes working at the UNT Willis and Media Libraries, The University of Maryland Health Sciences and Human Services Library, and the MD Anderson Library at the University of Houston.

I live in North Houston with my husband and two daughters.   But I miss urban life so I am always down for a trip to a museum.  I enjoy my morning iced coffee and browsing photos of mid-century modern design.

Reach me with questions at houstonlissa@gmail.com


No comments: